Monday, July 18, 2005

Welcome and Introduction

Today I join the increasing number of people who share their views on the Internet. I do this with some reservation as it is my inclination to spend more time listening and less time talking. It is not that I do not have any of my own opinions. To the contrary, I have several ideas of how things ought to work. Yet, the occasional success I have had in influencing people or events themselves has come from working backstage or prompting and encouraging the actors rather than standing before the audience under the spotlight myself. It is from behind the curtain I am most comfortable and so it will require some effort on my part to step out onto the stage.

So this forum offers a personal challenge and opportunity. Here is a place where from time to time I will express my perspective on the happenings around us to provoke and invite lively conversation at this virtual round-table. I also look forward to introducing some of the more interesting local policy-makers to a broader audience.

I welcome all comments with only two qualifications: 1) We can agree to disagree in a respectful manner in order to learn more about ourselves and each other; and 2) that the ability to laugh at oneself is encouraged. I believe laughter is essential to well-being and that one can never laugh enough.

Notes on omissions, mis-spellings or poor usage are invited and appreciated. I have never been able to successfully proof my own writing although I am getting better.