Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Coming Out of the Closet

I found myself feeling somewhat empathetic when reading that TE at SD Watch has, "a love affair with moderate Republicans." In the spirit of honest self-disclosure, I guess its time I came out of the closet and admit I have a platonic love for several liberal Democrats (probably no surprise to many of my friends who call themselves “Conservative.")

Actually, my high regard some of those who have chosen the donkey as their party’s symbol isn't difficult for me to admit. Even though I agree very little with their positions or proposed policies, I admire the passion they had for the beliefs, their determination and conviction to convince the rest of us to agree with them, and their fortitude for saying what they believed without regard to how it might effect their chances for re-election (unlike the modern politician—there are several examples from BOTH political parities who align their position as closely as they can to popular opinion.) The Democrats I admire most include George McGovern, Hubert Humphrey, Howard Metzenbaum, and Jim Abourezk. These men were among several who relished an honest and vigorous debate about how we ought to proceed.

I miss the debate and believe we need more of it.

Today more of our attention ought to be on the issues and possible solutions and less on individual political personality. Today's politics has degenerated into focusing too much on how any elected official, candidate, or nominee is either virtuous or sinister, the best sound bite, or the best (or worst) campaign ad, etc. We need to have more of a discussion on philosophy and less strategizing on how we can capture the "swing voters."

Both political parities are guilty of such practices and it is time to move beyond it before future generations become even more disillusioned. We want something better, and I think we deserve it.

PS And thanks TE for mentioning PR as one of the blogs you enjoy reading. I have to also admit that your blog is on my short list of things to read each day. (A mutual admiration socieity?) When can we have a lunch summit when we can gaze into each other eyes and debate the role government should or should not play on any of today’s more pressing topics? Good luck with the soccer team!

1 comment:

Progressive Republican said...

One can't help but admire people who have the courage of their convictions. They serve as a model for the rest of us.