Thursday, December 28, 2006


Nagging Quandary

For the past several days I have been carefully weighing the merits of Ipod versus Zune only to get thrown off by the sleek design of Clix. No, I haven’t come from a meeting of Gene Roddenberry disciples at a Star Trek convention. Instead I am referring to the sophisticated portable music players which everyone and their cat seem to own, expect for myself.

The players offer all kinds of tantalizing alternatives. Consider the iLink pictured at the right. As reported in Engadget, connecting the iLink to an iPod reproduces true digital (rather than analog) sound reproduction. Amazing. And for just a mere (GASP) $2K.

While out of my price range, further development of this sort of technology will help to resolve one of the dilemmas I face when considering buying a portable music. More, specifically I lack enthusiasm for listening to hours of music through headphones, ear buds, headsets, etc. My fear is that I will end up with a hearing loss similar to Beatle producer Sir George Martin and other music icons from head phoneyism (my term related to overindulgence of loud music through headphones, ear buds, headsets, etc—although believe the term could be used in the political context as well. Used in a sentence, one might say, “Lee suffers from head phoneyism.” Yeah, that could work.)

Another personal predicament centers on having to decide which music service for where I would purchase my digital music. Should I decide upon an iPod the choice will be made for me with iTunes although its non-compatibility with other players in order to create a false consumer base leaves a bad taste in my mouth in my free enterprise mouth. There are almost as many music services as there are players. I literally suffer from paralysis trying to determine the best alternative.

But it isn’t too difficult to keep things in perspective, especially after reading news accounts from around the country and world. My family and friends are healthy (for the most part anyway), happy, and secure, I have had more than enough to eat, I am warm, and I have several things that interest me and that I anxious to learn more. And what portable music player and music service I choose will likely be influenced on what the cats are buying.

No comments: